Kevin E. Hardy, DDS is a dentist who takes a different approach to his craft. Dr. Hardy is supportive of incorporating natural dentistry into the overall delivery of dental care, believing that patients benefit when health care blends both traditional and holistic medicine. Natural dentistry is becoming increasingly popular across the United States. As patients are more conscious of what they eat, and what kinds of products they use on their face and bodies, they’re looking for ways to maximize oral health while avoiding strong chemicals and other toxic treatment materials. Dr. Hardy believes that natural dentistry is a valuable tool to achieve good oral hygiene without long-term side effects on your body.
While every dentist who practices natural and holistic dentistry has a slightly different philosophy, many of them agree that natural dentistry revolves around a few basic principles:
- The mouth is a link to the rest of the body. Many natural dentists believe that problems with the teeth and gums are either caused by, or can cause, issues in the rest of the body. Therefore, they don’t just work to solve the problem with that particular tooth or area of the mouth; they work on a comprehensive level, understanding that the body’s physiological processes do not operate in isolation.
Natural dentists believe that the mouth works in tandem with the rest of the body. Oral health has a very large impact on overall well-being. Any physical ailments are intertwined with the whole organism. A healthy mouth is just one part of total body wellness.
- Special attention to allergies and sensitivities: Allergies are fairly common, but they’re often overlooked or misunderstood. Though an allergy may initially seem inconsequential, a sensitivity that goes untreated has the potential to manifest itself as an autoimmune disorder. Many people experience sensitivity to products used in the dentist’s chair and don’t even realize it. Natural dentists strive to prevent this by conscientious choices, using the least toxic materials and performing the least invasive procedures. The result is that patients experience less pain and anxiety, and fewer adverse reactions.
- Safe dental substances: Natural dentists stay informed about potential side effects of dental products. They choose materials that are safe and toxin-free for patients. This means they avoid materials with nickel, formaldehyde, and other potentially problematic components. For instance, Dr. Hardy believes that regular use of natural tooth powders and mouthwashes clean teeth and tone the gums which make them superior to most popular cleaning and rinsing products which have a limited effect on gum health.
- Emphasis on good nutrition: Good nutrition is essential to maintaining optimal oral health. What you put into your body has a direct effect on the state of your teeth and gums. Natural dentists emphasize to their patients the importance of well-balanced diets full of nutritious foods. They encourage patients to stay away from fatty, sugary, or processed items.
- Relying on homeopathic remedies in addition to medication to treat pain: Though anesthetic drugs such as Novocain, as well as post-treatment prescriptives, are helpful in managing pain, dentists like Kevin E. Hardy, DDS, who believe in the benefits of natural dentistry, support the use of homeopathic remedies when equally effective in managing pain associated with dental procedures. These types of remedies can treat discomfort, as well as cold sores, canker sores, and other oral ailments. Dentists who subscribe to a more holistic philosophy often use medications as supplements to more natural approaches to pain management.
It’s a myth that natural dentistry is worlds away from more traditional approaches to oral hygiene. No matter what your dental beliefs, any dentist will tell you that regular brushing and flossing are important. It’s also important to see a dentist for a regular checkup to make sure that your gums are healthy and your teeth are free of decay. No matter what your school of thought, dentists can agree that your diet is an important part of maintaining good oral health. While this is crucial for strong teeth and gums, it’s also helpful for your body as a whole.
Kevin E. Hardy DDS: Licensed Dentist
Kevin, E. Hardy, DDS, believes in the value of education. He is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and is currently an associate dentist with Hudec Dental in Cleveland, Ohio. Dr. Hardy was the first dental school student at the Medical College of Virginia to simultaneously earn a Master of Business Administration at Virginia Commonwealth University, receiving both his DDS and MBA diplomas on the same day.
Dr. Hardy’s broad training allows him to understand the importance of economics in health care delivery as he provides the most up-to-date care possible to his patients. As a current night-time law student at Cleveland State University School of Law, Dr. Hardy finds the legal aspects of future health care delivery significant and continues to enhance his education to better provide high-quality care for his patients.
In addition to an interest in the integration of natural dentistry into traditional care, Dr. Kevin Hardy has a dedication to pediatric dentistry. He strives to provide comfortable dental care for children of all ages. Kevin E. Hardy, DDS, knows that a trip to the dentist can be a source of anxiety, especially for young children and their parents. He alleviates fear of the dentist with calming patience, by minimizing discomfort, and by helping each child learn what to expect when it’s his or her turn to climb into the dentist’s chair.
Dr. Kevin E. Hardy, DDS has learned that if children are gradually exposed to the workings of the dental office, they develop positive relationships with the dentist and his staff. Children gently educated in dental care subsequently approach ensuing appointments with a confident attitude. Dr. Kevin Hardy also believes that children who have positive experiences with the dentist early in life are more likely to become regular patients as adults. This means that they develop healthful oral hygiene habits, are more pro-active in the care of their teeth and gums, and will be less likely to need more serious dental procedures. This chain of healthy habits starts early and for this reason Dr. Kevin E. Hardy knows that quality pediatric dentistry is essential for all children.
In both his professional and personal lives, Kevin Hardy has sought to enhance the present and future for children. In addition to his work in pediatric dentistry, Kevin was actively involved in The Boys and Girls Club of Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, including two terms on the board of directors for the organization.
Dr. Kevin E. Hardy, DDS has received extensive training both in dentistry and business matters that pertain to health care delivery. Dr. Kevin E. Hardy, DDS believes that natural dentistry can help boost a patient’s overall health and wellness. Dr. Kevin E. Hardy, DDS views pediatric dentistry as a significant component of the profession.
Awesome design, congrats for the new site.